The Reggae Boyz play USA in Kansas City tomorrow evening (Friday October 11, 2013) in their penultimate game before ending their campaign at “The [former?] Office” on Tuesday October 15, 2013.
The Boyz are banking on a loooooooooong shot possibility of finishing the 4th, the playoff spot, in this hexagonal CONCACAF World Cup 2014 qualifying round. This is such a long shot that, if people were gambling on the possibility of the Jamaicans making the World Cup 2014 in Brazil, their odds would be something ridiculous like 100:1 (one hundred to one).
Current Points Table
|United States –> qualified||8||5||1||2||+4||16|
|Costa Rica –> qualified||8||4||3||1||+6||15|
Boyz’s Qualification Scenarios
- USA vs JAM – JAM has to win — by 2 goals would be good to improve goal difference to -4 and points to 7
- MEX vs PAN — Only a draw can keep JAM in the game — Both teams would remain locked on 9 points – Anything else, JAM is out
- JAM vs HON – JAM has to win — by 3 goal difference would be good to improve goal difference to -1 and points to 10
- CR vs MEX — A draw or a CR win would benefit the Boyz. Anything else and JAM is out.
- PAN vs USA — A draw or a USA win would benefit the Boyz (Pan would end up with 9 or 10 points)
What This Means
Jamaica has to win both matches, and should try for a +5 goal difference in both wins to ensure that if they are tied with MEX and/or PAN on 10 points, they would have a 1 goal difference and get 4th spot. Whilst the 2 wins is not impossible, a +5 goal difference is highly improbable. In the advent they win both but don’t win by 5+ goal difference, only a draw and loss by both MEX and HON would put the Boyz in 4th place and a playoff berth to make the World Cup.
While I don’t want to get my or anyone’s hope up, that’s the possibility as long shot as they are and, think about it, at the end of Friday’s game we will know whether Jamaica still has a chance or not. If Mexico or Panama wins tomorrow OR Jamaica ties or loses against the USA, that hope is done.
Follow us on Twitter (@Yowlink) when we will break down the games.