Way back in 2001, 3 years before Ubuntu [Linux] distribution based on Debian Linux was released, I wrote an article entitled Let’s Marry Linux to Windows and got mixed reaction. Some people thought it was a good idea. Others thought it was a terrible idea that would never happen.
Well, fast forward 15 years and not even I envisioned this marriage. I am certain this marriage could not happen if Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer were still in charge at Microsoft. It was almost sacrilege.
What am I talking about? Well, let’s see:
- Microsoft Azure (Platform & Infrastructure as a Service) cloud computing platform, fka Windows Azure prior to 2014, started supporting Linux VMs in 2012…. and they now support a host (pun not intended) of popular distributions.
- Early 2015, Microsoft announced Windows 10 and upgrades would be free and pushed to regular users effective August 2015.
- April 2015, Microsoft released a preview of their open source editor, Visual Studio Code, for Windows, Linux and OS X. Yes, you read that right, “Linux and OS X“.
- A month ago, Microsoft announced that Mid-2017, SQL Server for Linux will be available. No joke.
- Last week, Microsoft shocked more of the world in San Francisco when they announced that BASH (The Bourne Again Shell), a GNU/Linux & UNIX shell, was coming to Windows 10. The key things to realize, readers, is that:
- This is not a joke
- This is a marriage… er.. collaboration between Microsoft and the Ubuntu creators (Canonical, Ltd.)
- It’s like CMD but BASH, not a VM or container, not like CygWin or other emulators
- Programs compiled for Linux will just run without even needing to be recompiled for Windows.
- Both your Linux utilities and Windows programs will have access to the same set of files
- It will be part of the stable version of Windows when Windows 10’s Anniversary Update is released Summer 2016.
- An Ubuntu 14.04 LTS-based Bash application will shortly be added to the Windows Store, followed by a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS-based application once Ubuntu 16.04 LTS launches on April 21.
So, the courtship began a few years ago, after Ballmer left, continued, and now they’re officially married…