World Cup semi-fnals are set and there is NO Germany (knocked out in first round), NO Brazil (defeated in quarters yesterday), NO Argentina (lost in round of 16)… Instead, you have an all-European affair with Belgium, Croatia, England and France.
Tuesday, July 10: Semi-Final 1
- Belgium faces France – France is a slight favorite
Wednesday, July 11: Semi-Final 2
- Croatia faces England – England is the favorite
Why wouldn’t England be the big favorite they are against an undefeated Croatian team? England surprised everyone by defeating Colombia in the round of 16 on penalty kicks. England typically does not win on penalty kicks.
How did the four teams get here?
- France defeated Uruguay 2-1 yesterday
- Belgium got by Brazil 2-1 yesterday.
- England beat Sweden 2-0 this morning
- Croatia just beat host Russia 4-3 on penalty kicks after being locked on 1-1 in regular and 2-2 in extra time.
Will we see an England – Belgium rematch of the 3rd group-stage match in the finals OR will we see old-school England vs France, or will it be one or two upsets? For the record, I had England because the USA did not make the world cup and, despite up against some great teams, I will still go with England to win. Madness? We will see.